Degree Code: PSA
Degree Title: Master of Arts in Public Policy and Administration
Degree Duration: 2 Years
Research on public policy and administration in poor countries has consistently revealed disconnect between public policy on the one hand and public administration on the other. Prior to the establishment of this programme an extensive baseline survey carried out with key stakeholders including the Public Service Commission of Kenya, the Kenya School of Government, County Governments in Kenya, current students and professionals in the area revealed that the situation has not improved. In addition, postgraduate training in the area of public policy and administration in Kenya and the region is inadequate. This programme is therefore expected to train graduates with the ability to create the connection between public policy on the one hand and public administration on the other in order to meet the manpower needs necessary for the national development agenda.
Expected Learning Outcomes of the Programme:
By the end of the programme learners should be able to:
- Demonstrate capability of handling policy and administrative issues in the public sector.
- Link theory of public policy formulation and the practice of public policy administration.
- Generate, formulate and administer appropriate and viable public policy research consistent with the national development agenda.
- Display attitudes that appreciate citizen participation in public policy and administration.
Minimum Admission Requirements for the Programme
Applicants who possess the following in the relevant academic bachelor’s degree are eligible:-
- Bachelors Degree, Second Class (Upper Division) or a cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA) of 3.00 on a scale of 4.00 in a relevant field of study from a recognized university.
- Bachelors Degree, Second Class (Lower Division) or a cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA) of 2.50 on a scale of 4.00 with additional relevant training, evidence of research capability, either through research, paper presentations or peer reviewed publications and relevant 2 years working experience.
- Bachelors Degree with a pass and Postgraduate Diploma in a relevant field of study.
- Foreign students must have proficiency in English to qualify.
List of Course Per Semester/Year
|PSA 8103||General Research Methods (Core Department)||3|
|PSA 8104||Administrative Theories (Core Programme)||3|
|PSA 8105||Public Policy and Analysis (Core Programme)||3|
|PSA 8106||Comparative Public Administration (Core Programme)||3|
Electives (Choose at least 1)
|PSA 8107||Social Change and Rural Development (Elective)||3|
|PSA 8108||Seminar in Political Sociology (Elective)||3|
|PSA 8109||Administrative Law (Elective)||3|
|PSA 8210||Research Methods in Public Policy and Administration(Core)||3|
|PSA 8211||Conflict Management and Social Control in Africa (Elective)||3|
|PSA 8212||Ethics and Governance in Kenya (Core Programme)||3|
|PSA 8213||Policy and Administrative Systems (Core Programme)||3|
Electives (Choose at least 1)
|PSA 8214||Domestic and Foreign Policy (Elective)||3|
|PSA 8215||Leadership and Social Justice (Elective)||3|
|PSA 8316||Thesis: Concept Paper & Research Proposal (Core Programme)||12|
|PPSA 8416||Thesis: Thesis Writing (Core Programme)||12|