The natural environment encompasses the interaction between the living and non-living things that occur naturally on Earth. It is a source of natural beauty and all living things depend on the environment for survival. However, it is faced by major challenges that result from human interaction with it, causing wanton problems which are also associated with planning and management challenges. The solution to these challenges is effective monitoring, evaluation, conservation and sustainable utilization in order to prevent and reduce the effect of environmental issues. It is on this note that the Bachelor of Environmental management is offered. It is an integrated, interdisciplinary program that provides a strong grounding on social aspects of the environment, while attempting to impart knowledge and skills to help the students identify and assess the qualitative, scientific and technical facets of contemporary and projected environmental issues.
Bachelor of Environmental management aims at providing students with the relevant knowledge and skills in the fields of environmental management, as well as social skills for positive interaction to facilitate sustainable management of environmental resources. The BACHELOR OF ENVIRONMENTAL MANAGEMENT programme is expected to achieve the following specific objectives:
- Provide holistic education to managers who can effectively create value to the lives of victims of collapsed environments.
- Prepare professionals who can disseminate information to the general populace so that they can proffer effective public participation on environmental management for sustainability.
- Prepare adaptable, knowledgeable and effective communicators endowed with advocacy skills, who can, through any form of medium, spur confidence and leadership in public interest actions.
- Train peak-performers that can marshal attitudinal change management techniques to restore order to any collapsed ecosystems.
- Train managers who can marshal resources effectively not only for environmental disaster preparedness but also for actual disaster scenarios.
Improve the quality of the professional environmental manager to facilitate and guide society in sustainable management of the environment at the village, district and national levels.
The Bachelor of Environmental Management degree is a 4 year full time programme organized in 8 semesters . It includes an intensive 3 month industrial work placement in relevant private and public organizations to enable students obtain hands on experience and exposure to contemporary issues in environmental management. Teaching will follow a problem based learning approach. Written and in some cases practical examinations are given at the end of each semester.
MINIMUM ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS
To be admitted into the Bachelor of Environmental Management, a candidate must have scored a minimum grade of C+ at KCSE OR Relevant Diploma.