Director QA and PC
Quality Management initiatives globally and regionally have become the norm to organizations. The concept of quality in products and services has been embraced in the Kenyan policy framework. In the context of higher education in particular, the concern is not just graduating students, it is the quality of graduates that matters. Maasai Mara University (MMARAU) in its vision seeks to be a World Class University Committed to Academic Excellence for Development.
This vision is further translated in MMARAU mission statement; To Provide quality University education through innovative teaching, research and consultancy services for development. As embedded in the mission statement quality is core to educational services offered in MMARAU.
The MMU quality management framework is two tire; Quality Assurance and Quality Management Systems. To mainstream the quality agenda in service delivery, the University initially established the Performance Contracting and Quality Management Systems unit. In 2014 the Unit was upgraded to Directorate of Quality Assurance and Performance Contracting and the Quality Assurance function was added.
The Directorate of Quality Assurance and Performance Contracting of Maasai Mara University has three main portfolios: Quality Assurance, Quality Management Systems and Performance Contracting. The description of services in the sections of the directorate is as follows:
The major role of the section is to coordinate and monitor implementation of the University Quality Policy and Compliance of the University to Commission of University Education (CUE) standards. The quality initiatives include:
- Monitoring of Program development and review to ensure compliance to CUE standards.
- Monitoring of quality teaching by ensuring regular feedback from students using standard tools
- Monitor examination processes to ensure examinations quality standards are met.
- Ensure departments monitor class attendance and Lecturer attendance
- Create and update tools for collection of quality assurance data.
- Conduct internal quality assurance audits
- Develop and benchmark from best practice and communicate quality initiatives as guided by the University Quality Assurance Committee.
- Develop, maintain and communicate the quality handbook
- Develop and maintain a quality manual.
Quality Management Systems:
This section of the Directorate mainly deals with maintaining quality management systems that the University gets certified to.
The Universities quality management system is based on the ISO 9000 family of standards. In November 2014 the University was satisfied to ISO 9001:2008 standard. The University continued to maintain certification and as of February 2017, the process of transitioning the University to ISO 9001:2015 commenced. The University expects to be satisfied with the new standard ISO 9001:2015 before August 2017.
The main activities in the section include:
- Coordinating internal quality audits
- Preparing the University for external surveillance and certification audits.
- Maintaining and a pool of trained quality management systems auditors
- Communicate and be a link between the certification body and the University
- Conduct analysis of corrective actions identified during audits and ensure follow up
- Provide secretariat services to Quality Management System activities
- Coordinate Management Review meetings.
- Spearhead Identification and implementation of preventive and corrective actions.
- Custodian of Quality Management Systems records.
This section deals with Monitoring and Reporting of the University Performance Contract. The activities include:
- Using Financial Year Guidelines, develop a University draft performance contract for negotiation with the Ministry of Education
- Coordinate Performance Contract steering committee meetings
- Prepare the University for negotiation and vetting of the performance contract
- Prepare cascaded performance contracts for University officers
- Develop quarterly performance contract reports and submit to relevant government agencies
- Compile performance contract targets evidence
- Prepare annual PC report
- Prepare the University for PC evaluation.
Staff in the Directorate
1. Moses Okombo – Admin. Assistant (QA)
2. Jennifer Koikai – Admin. Assistant (PC)
3. Emily Karach – Admin. Assistant (QMS)
Directorate Contact Email