Senior Lecturer in Zoology, Department of Biological Sciences,
· Research on the impacts of wheat rust in Kenya
· Research Bio-pesticides and their application
· Research in medicinal plants, in use to mitigate health issues.
- Socio- economic impact of wheat rust in Kenya.
- Production of bio-diesel from algae.
- Crop protection- Field and storage pests
University responsibilities and membership to committees
2012-2013: Warden in Serengeti Hostel
2011- 2013: Head of Department - Biological Sciences, School of Science.
2011- 2013: Committee Member - staff disciplinary committee.
2012 : Preparing instruments required during the presentation of the charter
2010- 2012: Co-ordinator, School of Science.
2010- 2013: Chairperson- Inspection and acceptance committee.
2009- 2013: Member- Aids and Control Unit Sub-committee (ACU).
2010- 2013: Chairperson -Alcohol and Drug Abuse committee.
2010 : Strategic plan and service charter for the university
2008 -2009: Performance contract committee.
2006- 2009: Head of department, Guiding and Counselling.
2006- 2009: Planning Committee.
2004 - 2008: Industrial liaison office.
2000 - 2009: Member of technical committee, Town Campus.
COMMUNITY WORK/ RESPONSIBILITY:
2012 to date: Board member (BOG) - Siaya Technical Institute College
2011 to date: Board member (BOG) - Tambach Teachers Training College
2011 to date: Board Member (BOG) - Tambach High School.
2009 to date: Executive Member - Athletics Kenya Keiyo District.
2006to date: Church minister in Peniel Centre - Jesus the light of the world.
2005 to date: Member of advisory board - Simbolei Junior Academy.
2009 to date: Director - Bomet Teachers Training College.
2008 to date: Education outreach in schools and community open fora.
MEMBERSHIP TO PROFESSIONAL BODY
2011-date: Biochemical society- UK
2010-date: The Organisation for Social Science Research in East and Southern Africa- Kenya chapter
2017-date:Organization for Women in Science for the Developing World-Kenya (OWSD - Kenya)
2016: Environmental impact assessment/ Environmental Audit(AIE/EA)organised by the School of Environmental Studies University of Eldoret. Held 15thAugust to 2ndSeptember 2016
2012: Alcohol and Drug Abuse Prevention for Public Sector Institutions held at Milele Guest House, Nakuru from 29thOctober to 2ndNovember 2012
2012: Hands- on training course on “Standardization of stem rust note taking and evaluation of germplasm with emphasis on emerging threaths of yellow rust and leaf rust” from September 25thto October 5th2012
2012:Internal Quality/Auditing based on ISO 9001:2008 Standard for Narok University Colle held at Africa Hope- Narok on 20thto228thof June 2012
2012: Implementation of quality Management System based on ISO 9001:2008 Standard for Narok University College held at Africa Hope- Narok on 7thto 8thof June 2012
2011: Forum for LIWA –ICT sector board on the theme “ ICT Capacity Development towards Knowledge Based Economy” which took place between 24th&25thNovember 2011 at Grand Regency
2010: Education for Sustainable Development Regional Centre Expertise-Narok by NEMA and Narok university held on 22nd-24thSeptember 2010
2009: Performance management conducted by the Public sector reforms & performance contracting held at the Kenya Utalii College on 21st-23rdMay 200
2007:Guidance and Counselling in Colleges held on 6th- 8thAugust 2007 at Kenya Institute of Professional Counselling.
2003: Ministry of Education .Science and Technology Agriculture seminar for teachers from Keiyo and Marakwet Districts held on 19thto 20thJune 2003
2001: Leadership skills and project management organised by the Lake Victoria Environment Management Project (LEVM) in collaboration with rural initiative for sustainable Development(RISDEV) from 27thto 31stAugust 2001 at Ukweli Centre Eldoret
June - August 2014: Environmental Management course held Galilee International Management Institute ( State of Israel)
October 2010: International Seminar on Education for Sustainable Development (ESD) held at Ofri International Training Centre in Jerusalem (State of Israel).
ATTENDANCE AND PRESENTATION AT ACADEMIC CONFERENCES
2016: Attended as a Key Note speaker in the 1stEldoret International Conference: “Business Scenario and jobless growth in emerging economics; Concerns & Solutions” Organised by Oasis International Consulting Ltd. in collaboration with Aphax College on 26th-27thJuly 2016
2011: First annual International Conference on the theme “Advances in Technology and Socio Economic Development (ATSED 2011)” Organized and Held at The Eldoret Polytechnic. Sponsored by National Council for Science and Technology (NCST) and National Bank of Kenya Ltd (NBK) (Role: Session Chair, Sciences) on May 12th to 13th 2011
PAPERS PRESENTED IN INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCES
- Kirui C. Stella,Oyaro M. Nathan, Wamalwa N. Mercy, Njau N. Peter and Rono, J. Salinah (2015) Race Analysis of Stem Rust Inoculum and its Virulence on Commercial Wheat Varieties at Seedling in Kari-Njoro, Kenya. (National Council of science and Technology 6thconference 2013)
- P.kalama , B. Kiprono and S. Kirui.Mango Weevil control in Kerio Valley. KARI (Biennial conference in November 2012in Nairobi, Kenya)
- Chirchir Elizabeth J., Rasowo Joseph., Kirui Stella C. Occurrence and distribution of parasites in freshwater Tilapia fish Oreothronis nilosicusin ponds and dam in Kesses (Eldoret Polytechnic 1stconference 2012)
- Oyaro N., Siameto E.,Githae., Kirui C. S.Growth and analysis of algal species as a source of bio-diesel (National Council of science and Technology 4thconference 2011)
- Oyaro N., and Kirui C. S. Genetically Modified crops will not be the solution to alleviation of food storages in Kenya (Moi University 6thAnnual Conference 2010)
- Ngurwe J.K., Wanjala F.M.E., Kirui S.C.,and Makwali J.A. Efficacy of Allium sativum (Liliaceae) extracts in comparison to conventional insecticides in controlling cabbage aphid (Brevicoryne brassicae) on kales (Moi University 6thinternational conference 2010)
- Kiprop A.K , Marie-Camille J-Coumon, Pourtier E., Kiriamiti,K., Kimutai S., Mburu F., Sirma andS. Kirui ( 2013)Synthesis of Humic and Fulvic Acids and their Characterization using Optical Spectroscopy (ATR-FTIR and UV-Visible) (Moi University 6thinternational conference 2010)
- Kirui S. C.,Kiplagat F.K., Kimno S.K., S.J Rono., and Kigen B.K. Chemical Assesment and antimicrobial activity of solvent extracts from Kalenchoe densiflora. (Moi University 6thinternational conference 2010)
- Kirui S.C, Kiplagat F.K, Wanjala F.M.E., Mburu F.G., Rono S.J.Antimicrobial bioactivity of extracts from Plestranthus barbatus (Moi University 5thinternational conference 2009)
- Kirui S C, Wanjala F.M.E and Mburu F,G. Repellent effects of Tephrosia vogoliiEng. and Caloderum capenseThunb against adult of Protesphanus truncates Horn in stored maize (Moi University 5thinternational l conference 2009)
- Kirui S. C, Kiprop A. K ,Wanjala F.M.E, Mburu F. G, Muisu F.N, Sirma P.K. Biocidal efficacy y of Calodendrum capenseThunb seed extracts againstProstephanus truncates and mosquito larvae(Aedes Aegypti Linn)(Moi University 5thinternational conference 2009)
- Kirui S C, Wanjala F.M.E, and Mulaa M.Tephrosia vogolii Hook and Calodendrum capense Thunb dusts as deterrents of Prostephanus truncates Horn during grain storage. (Moi University 4thinternational conference 2008)
- Kirui Stella, Wanjala F.M.E, Kiprono P.C., and F.G Mburu, F.N, Muisu, P.K. Sirma and A.K Kiprop.Durability of Terminaria spinosaheartwood evidence of biocidal properties responsible for durability(Moi University 4thAnnual conference 2008).)
PUBLICATIONSIN REFERRED JOURNALS
- Cheboi, Miriam G. Kinyua, Paul K.Kimurto, Oliver K. Kiplagat, Bernard K.Towett, Stella C. Kirui, Gaudencia J. Kiptoo, N.V.P.R Gangarao (2016).Yield potential and adaptability of medium duration Pigeonpea (Cajanus cajanL. Millsp.) genotypes in dry parts of North Rift Valley, Kenya .International Journal of Agronomy and Agricultural Research (IJAAR) ISSN: 2223-7054 .Vol. 9, No. 2, p. 47-56
- J. Cheboi, P. K. Kimurto, M. G. Kinyua, O. K. Kiplagat1, B. K. Towett,
- J. Kiptoo, S. C. Kirui, S. Kimno and N. V. P. R Gangarao.(2016).Evaluation of Selected Pigeonpea (Cajanus cajan(L.) Millsp.) Genotypes for Resistance to Insect Pest Complex in Dry Areas of North Rift Valley, Kenya. American Journal of Experimental Agriculture 10(5): 1-9, 2016, Article No.AJEA.22216 ISSN: 2231-0606
- Kirui C. Stella,Oyaro M. Nathan, Wamalwa N. Mercy, Njau N. Peter and Rono, J. Salinah (2015)Race Analysis of Stem Rust Inoculums and its Virulence on Commercial Wheat Varieties at Seedling in Kari-Njoro, Kenya. Asian Journal of Agriculture and Food Sciences (ISSN: 2321 – 1571) Volume 03
- Kirui S.C, Oyaro N. Kiprop A.K, Mburu F.G, Sirmah P.K and Rono S.J (2014). Effects of heartwood extractive of Terminalia spinosa on wood degradation by Fungi. Elixir International Journal Appl. Chem. 67 (2014) 21710-21715
- Nyukuri, R.W.; Kirui, S.C.Cheramgoi, E.; Mwale, R.; Koskei, G., (2014). Effects of preservation methods on the proximate composition of the white ants (isoptera: termatidae).Journal.Agri-food and Applied Sci, 2(6):167-170.
- Nyukuri, R.W. Kirui, S.C.;Cheramgoi, E.; Chirchir, E.; Mwale, R. ;( 2014). Damage of stem borer species to Zea mays L. and Sorghum bicolor L. and three refugia graminae. Afr.J. Food Sci. Technol.5 (2):37-45.
- Nyukuri, R.W.; Kirui,S.C.; Cheramgoi,E.; Chirchir,E.; Mwale,R.; (2014). Role of refugia graminae in push – pull management of stem borer species of Zea mays L. and Sorghum bicolor L. Afr.J. Food Sci. and Technol.6(2):29-36
- Nyukuri,R.W.;Kirui,S.C.;Cheramgoi,E.; Chirchir,E.; Mwale,R.; (2014).Phytogeography of stem borer species of Zea mays L. and Sorghum bicolor L. and their refugia graminae. Afr.J.Food Sci. and Technol.5 (1):6-11.
- Mbeke, A.M., Kirui, S.C.,Kibet, N.C., Welinga, A.M., Musyoki, S.K. and Nguta, C.M. (2014), “Effects of Nitrogen application on snap beans production in Koibatek district Kenya”, International Journal of Development and Sustainability, Vol. 3 No. 5, pp 1013-1025.
- Mwale, R., Nyukuri, R.W.; Kirui, S.C. Cheramgoi, E.; Mwale, R.; Wekesa,A.W.,(2014).Effects of Insecticide Treated Nets [ITNs] to behaviour changes in adult mosquitoes. International Journal of Sch.Research Gate.2014; 2(4):169-175.
- Nyukuri, R.W.; Kirui, S.C.;Cheramgoi, E.; Mwale, R.; Koskei, G. ;(2013).Food value of termites (isoptera: termitidae) in Western Kenya: comparison with beef and Tilapia fish. International Journal of Sch.Research Gate.2014; 2(4):176-186.
- Kiprop A.K, Marie-Camille J-Coumon, Pourtier E , Kimutai S. and S. Kirui ( 2013)Synthesis of Humic and Fulvic Acids and their Characterization using Optical Spectroscopy (ATR-FTIR and UV-Visible) International Journal of Applied Science and Technology Vol. 3 No. 8;
- Robert W. Nyukuri, Stella C. Kirui, Fred M. E. Wanjala1. Vitalis Ogema and Evelyne Cheramgoi, (2013)Effect of varying population and feeding preferences of Helopeltis schuotedeniReuter (Hemiptera: Meridae) on parts of tea shoot (Camellia sinensisKuntze) in Kenya. Peak Journal of Food Science and Technology Vol.1 (1):1-5
- Nyukuri, R.W.; Kirui, S.C.; Wanjala, F.M.E.; Odhiambo, J.O.; Cheramgoi, E. ;( 2012).Effects of different agro- ecosystems on prevalence of different species of pests and coccinellid predators. Journal of Agri.Sci.and Techn.A.2 (2012):1003-1010.
- Nyukuri, R.W.; Kirui, S.C.;Wanjala, F.M.E.; Odhiambo, J.O.;Cheramgoi,E.; (2012).The effectiveness of coccinellids as natural enemies of aphids in maize, beans and cowpeas. Journal of Agri.Sci.and Techn.A.2 :776-783.
- Oyaro Nathan, Siameto Elizabeth and Kirui Stella(2012). Growth and Analysis of Algal species as a Source of Bio-diesel J. agric. pure appl. sci. technol. 14, 8-14 ISSN 2073-8749
- Chirchir Elizabeth J., Rasowo Joseph., Kirui Stella C.(2011) Occurrence and distribution of parasites in freshwater Tilapia fish Oreothromis niloticusin ponds and dam in Kesses. Journal ofTechnology & soci-Economic Development Vol.I.No.I
- Joseph A. Koskey, Musya Mwinzi, Kirui Stella (2010). Impact of Wildlife on the Socio-economic Status of people Living Adjacent to Mt. Elgon National Park, Trans Nzoia District, Kenya J. Agric. Pure appl. Sci. Technol. 5, 44-52; ISSN 2073-8749.
- Mbuki David, Ojola Patroba, Kirui Stella, Monjero Keneth, Wambugu Anderson and Choge Joseph (2010). Preparation and Optimization of Rift Valley Fever Antigen and Sheep Anti-RVF Antibody for Sero-Diagnosis of Rift Valley Fever J. agric. pure appl. sci. technol. 5, 29-37; ISSN 2073-8749.
- Choge Josepha, Khayeka Christopher, Songok Seraha, Kirui Stella(2010)and Mdodo Rennatusc Evaluation of Predictive CD4 Count and Clinical Reliability in Detecting Cryptococcus neoformans at Kenyatta National Hospital, Kenya . J. agric. pure appl. sci. technol. 5, 22-28
- Choge Joseph, Wanjala Paul, Koech Julius,Kirui Stellaand Ayaya Samuel (2010) Tunga penetrans, Pediculus capitisand Sarcopte scabeiinfestations among Children <15yrs in Kamagut Location, Uasin Gishu District, Kenya J. agric. pure appl. sci. technol. 5, 38- 44; ISSN 2073-8749
- Choge Joseph, Masese Frank, Kirui Stella, Rono Selina and Bosire Elijah (2010)Behavioural Attitude of young Men (10-24yrs) on Safe sex and Reproductive Health: A Survey of Huruma Estate, Eldoret, Kenya J. agric. pure appl. sci. technol. 5, 45- 51; ISSN 2073-8749
- Kirui Stella, Wanjala F.M.E, Mburu F,G, Rono S.J, Kiprono P.C. (2009).Repellent effects of Tephrosia vogoliiEng. and Caloderum capenseThunb against adult of Protesphanus truncates Hem in stored maize J. agric. pure appl. sci. technol. 2, 100-105; ISSN 2073-8749
- Kirui Stella, Wanjala F.M.E., Mburu F.G., Rono S.J., Kiprono P.C. (2009).Antimicrobial bioactivity of extracts from Plestrnthus barbatusJ. agric. pure appl. sci. technol. 5 ISSN 2073-8749
- Rono Selinah J, Wamola Isaac, Chebore S.C., Kirui Stella and Tororey Rispah (2009)Evaluation of factors Predesposing to Bacterial Contamination of Drinking Water Source: A study at Kitale Municipality, Kenya J. agric. pure appl. sci. technol. 5, 76- 83; ISSN 2073-8749
- Kirui S.C.,Wanjala F.M.E., Chepkwony P.K., Mburu F., Muisu F., Sirmah P.K., Kiprop A.K.(2009)Evaluation of biocidal properties of Terminalia spinosaand their role in heartwood durability. Journal of Agriculture, Pure and Applied Science and Technology(JAPAST), 1, 61-68.
- Kirui Stella, Wanjala F.M.E, Kiprono P.C., and Mulaa M.(2009).Evaluation of Feeding deterrents of Tephrosia vogolii Hook and Calodendrum capense Thunb dusts against Prostephanus truncates Horn grain storage. Journal of Agriculture, Pure and Applied Science and Technology5, 53-60;ISSN 2073-8749.
- Kipsat M.J., Bitok Julius K., Oyasi S.S., and Kirui S.C(2009) Benefits of liberalizationofgender roles in Smallholder Agriculture: The Case of poultry production in Uasin Gishu District, Kenya. African Journal of Business and Economics (AJOBE),Vol. 3 No. 1 159-173; ISSN 1999-9217