Specialization: Parks, Recreation and Tourism Management.
M.Sc. Parks, Recreation and Tourism Management, Clemson University, USA (2014 - 2016)
BA (Tourism & Sociology), University of Nairobi (2010 – 2013)
- Parks management dynamics
- Recreational use – indoor and outdoor in contemporary society / parks management dynamics
- Leisure consumption and management aspects
- Tourism management and policy issues – (ecotourism, sustainable tourism, community based tourism)
- Minority / special groups access to recreation and leisure
- Recreational Therapy and wellness
- My research interest lies in parks, recreation, leisure, and tourism management where I seek to examine the whole spectra of parks, recreation, leisure, and tourism management aspects in relation to the contemporary society versus traditional society. Focal areas include; access, enjoyment, benefits (tangible / intangible), challenges, and remedial strategies.
Shani Y. Petenya, Kenneth F. Backman, Sheila J. Backman, & Gregory P. Ramshaw (2016). Host’s motivations for participation, problems and challenges in homestay tourism – Shompole Maasai, Kenya. Pro-Quest. Published.