He is an Associate Professor and the Dean, School of Tourism and Natural Resources Management. Prior to Joining Maasai Mara University, he worked as a Senior Lecturer at the Department of Land Resource Planning and Management, Jomo Kenyatta University of Agriculture and Technology. Previously, he had worked at the Department of Environmental Planning and Management, Kenyatta University as a Lecturer and an Assistant Lecturer since 2003.
For his studies, he holds a PhD in Environmental Planning from The University of Waikato, New Zealand. He also holds Master and Bachelor degrees in Environmental Planning and Management from Kenyatta University.
He is a Corporate Member, Kenya Institute of Planners and Lead Expert with National Environment Management Authority.
Apart from the Teaching and Research career, he has served/ he serves in various leadership positions. Currently he is the Chairman Land Management Board of Murang’a County, an appointment.
- Mwangi M. W and Thuo, A. D. M. (2014). Towards conceptual and theoretical foundation for identifying problems, challenges and mechanisms for municipal waste management in developing countries. Internl Journal of Innovation & Sci Res.
- Asoka, G. W. N., Thuo A. D. M. and Bunyasi M. M. (2013). "Effects of Population Growth on Urban Infrastructure and Services: A Case of Eastleigh Neighborhood Nairobi, Kenya." Journal of Anthropology & Archaeology.
- Thuo A. D. M. (2013). Exploring land development dynamics in rural-urban fringes: A reflection on why agriculture is being squeezed out by urban land uses in the Nairobi rural-urban fringe? International Journal of Rural Management.
- Thuo A. D. M. (2013). An analysis of role(s) of actors in land use change in the Nairobi rural-urban fringe, Kenya. Internl Journal of Research in Social sciences.
- Thuo A. D. M. (2013). Genealogy of land ownership, use and management problems in Kenya during the pre-August 2010 Constitution: A review. Internl Journal of Eng Res and Tech.
- Thuo A. D. M. (2013). Archaeology of urban housing problems in Kenya: Issues and policies. Internl Journal of Sci & Eng Res.
- Thuo A. D. M. (2013). Political economy and the local governance in Kenya during the pre- august 2010 constitution: A synoptic review. Internl Journal of Sci and Res.
- Thuo A. D. M. (2013). Unsettled settled spaces: Searching for a theoretical ‘home’ for rural- urban fringes. Internl Journal of Sci and Res Publ.
- Thuo A. D. M. (2013). Impacts of urbanization on land use planning, livelihood and environment in the Nairobi rural-urban fringe, Kenya. Internl Journal of Sci and Tech Res.
- Thuo A. D. M. (2013). Qualitative analysis of land use change pressures, conditions and drivers in rural-urban fringes: A case of Nairobi rural-urban fringe, Kenya. Internl Journal of Innov and Applied Studies.
- Thuo A. D. M. (2013). Place of positionality, values, ethics and reflexivity in qualitative urban field work research. Journal Human and Social Science Research.
- Thuo A. D. M. (2013). Urbanisation in Nairobi’s peri-urban areas, Kenya: Exploring how subaltern actions and do-it-yourself (DIY) strategies are evolving and creating order in new urbanizing areas. Internl Journal of Educ and Res.
- Thuo A.D.M. (2010). Community and social responses to land use transformations in the Nairobi rural-urban fringe, Kenya. Journal of Field Actions Science.
- Thuo A.D.M. (2008). Tradition, culture and development in Africa: Historical lessons for modern development planning. Book review: Ambe J. Njoh (Author), Urban Policy and Research, Volume 26, Issue 1 April 2008, pages 125 – 139. http://www.tandfonline.com/loi/cupr20?open=26&repitition=0#vol_26.
- Thuo A. D. M. (2013). Land use planning and biodiversity conservation in private lands: A study of on-farm conservation of indigenous tree species among smallholder farmers of Murang'a County, Kenya. CreateSpace Publishing. ISBN-13: 978-1489513250.
- Thuo A. D. M. (2011). Planning in ‘new urbanizing areas’ of developing countries: Reflections from the Nairobi rural-urban fringe, Kenya. Lambert Academic Publishing. ISBN-13: 978-3-8454-0422-6.
- Thuo, A. D. M. (2014). Urbanization In Nairobi's rural-urban fringe: Consequences of land use conversion. Book Chapter - International Society for Horticultural Science. ISBN 978-94-62610-08-8. http://www.actahort.org/books/1021/1021_16.htm
- Wawire N. and Thuo A.D.M. (2007). Economic environmental valuation. Environment and sustainable development.
- Thuo A.D.M and Waswa F. (2006). Understanding and managing eco-conflicts and environmental insecurity. Environment and sustainable development.