Publications/ Academic Documents
October 2011 – To date
June 2015, A paper co authored with Mokua, G.M., et al entitled “Influence of Self-concealed
Psychosocial Factors as Predictors on Effectiveness of Sexual Self-disclosure
during Voluntary Counselling and Testing among University Students in Kenya”
in the International Journal of Psychology and Counselling, pp 78-83,
January 2015 Module for EDF 210 - Philosophy of Education.
November 2014 A paper co authored with Chepchieng, Micah; Kandie, Joan; Ogola, F. &
Kiptui, David entitled Influence of Primary School Teachers’ Remuneration on the Level of Job Satisfaction: A Comparative Study of Public Primary Schools in Nakuru Municipality and Kabartonjo Division, Kenya. Kenyan Journal of Guidance, Counselling and Psychology, Vol 4, No 1, November 2014, Nairobi, Nairobi Academic Press, ISSN 2226-0552, pp 134-142.
November 2013 A paper co authored with Makori, G, Ndirangu, M & Ogola, F. entitled Information and Communication Technology Use among Teacher Education Students in Universities in Kenya International Journal of Scientific & Technology Research, ISSN 2277-8616, pp 176-179.
April 2013 A book entitled: Research Proposal and Thesis Writing: General
Principles and Format, Nairobi: Rinny Publishers, ISBN 996675684-1,
Co-authored with Paul M. Maithya, S.D. Khamadi and Misia Kadenyi.
July 2012 Challenges Faced by Head Teachers in Management of Special Primary
Schools and Units for the Intellectually Challenged Pupils in Meru South
District in Kenya1Mbugua Z.K., 2Ndeke L.K. and 3Ogola F.O.1&2Chuka
University College, 3Narok University College. International Journal of
Childhoods and Society.Volume 1, Number 1 (2012), pp. 1-6, © Research
India Publications, http://www.ripublication.com
January 2012 A paper co authored with Oloo, J.A & Ogola, F.O entitled Quality
Assurance of University Education in Alberta and Kenya: Policies and
Practices in KJBM, KCA University, Nairobi, pp 121 – 137.
Nov 2011 A paper co-authored with Rono T.K, Ogola, F.O., Makori, G., & Mumiukha,
C.K., entitled Influence of Ogiek’s Indigenous Apprenticeship Education of
Herbal Medicine and Cosmological Related Belief Systems on Sustainable
Environmental Conservation of Mau Forest, Kenya in Journal of Indigenous
Research, Elders and Knowledgeable Otters in Higher Education, 2011, pp 57 –
June 2007 – September 2011
June 2011 A paper co-authored with Mwenda, E.E. & Mbugua Z.K entitled
Influence of Free Primary Education on the Quality of Teaching
and Learning in Public Primary Schools in Meru South District,
Kenya in Egerton Journal of Humanities, Social Sciences and Education,
Volume IX, Special Issue, Egerton University Press pp 146 - 156. ISSN
1021-1128. (Special Issue co-sponsored by OSSREA and Egerton).
June 2011 A paper co-authored with Rono T.K, et al. entitled Ogiek Indigenous
Beliefs and Practices as Imperatives for Sustainable Conversation
of Mau Forest, Kenya in Egerton Journal of Humanities, Social
Sciences and Education, Volume IX, Special Issue, Egerton University Press, pp 34- 56. ISSN 1021-1128. (Special Issue co sponsored
by OSSREA and Egerton University).
June 2011 A paper co-authored with Nyambura, R. entitled Evolution of
Shoes Culture in Africa in the Journal of Education and Social
Sciences, Volume1. No. 1 June 2011. Theme: Africa in the Context
of Investment in Research, Education, Training and Innovation:
Challenges and Way Forward, Mount Kenya, Nakuru Campus
Press, pp 23 – 33, ISSN 2220 – 4091.
June 2011 A paper co-authored with Bumbe, W., et al entitled Tribalism:
Planting the Seed of Stable Nations in Sub-Saharan Africa in The
Journal of Education and Social Sciences, Volume1. No. 1 June
2011. Theme: Africa in the Context of Investment in Research,
Education, Training and Innovation: Challenges and Way
Forward, Mount Kenya, Nakuru Campus Press, pp 131 – 143,
ISSN 2220 – 4091.
May 2011 Individual Fulfilment as a Goal of University Education among the
Undergraduates in Kenya. Egerton University Press, ISBN 9966-
Nov 2010 A paper co-authored with M.O. Okere entitled Conceptualizing
Education for Individual Fulfilment in Kenyan Universities,
published in Mount Kenya University, Journal of Education and
Social Sciences, Vol. 1.No. 1. November 2010, Mount Kenya,
Nakuru Campus Press, pp 85 - 101, ISBN 9966-11-000-3.
Nov 2010 A paper co-authored with T.K Ronoh, F.S. Barasa, R.M Matheka
& S.L. Micheni entitled Impact of Newly Created Settlement Schemes and
their Implications on the Ogiek’s Indigeneous Environmental Education in
Mau Forest, Kenya, published in Mount Kenya University, Journal of
Education and Social Sciences, Vol. 1. No. 1. November 2010, pp125 –
145, ISBN 9966-11-000-3.
2010 Relationship between Family Socio-Economic Status on Students’
Academic Performance in Mixed Day Secondary Schools in
Mosocho Division of Kisii Central District, Kenya, , OSSREA
Publication Co authored with B. N. Omenge & E.K. Bor, Nairobi:
Downtown Press, pp 135 – 145, ISBN 9966-05-162-7.
2010 The Influence of Class Size on Learner Achievement During
Mathematics Instruction in the Wake of Free Primary Education:
A Study of Public Primary Schools in Nakuru Municipality,
OSSREA Publication Co authored with E. K. Majanga & F.S.
Barasa, Nairobi: Downtown Press, pp 1 – 16, ISBN 9966-05-162-7.
2010 A Book entitled; Free Education in Kenya’s Public Primary Schools: Addressing the Challenges, OSSREA: Addis Ababa. ISBN 978-99944 -55-41-6.
2009 Self–Concept and Academic Performance among Secondary
School Students: A Case of Mwala Division, Machakos District,
Kenya.Co authored by J. M. Mwania, F.O. Ogola, J.M. Nduati &
Z. K. Mbugua, published in Kenya Journal of Educational Management, pp 62 – 74, ISSN 2074-540.
2008 A Critique of the Role of University Education in Fostering “Tradition as
a Source of Certainty” published in a textbook entitled: Education and Reality, Reflections on Luigi Giussani’s book, The Risk of Education; Nairobi: Fondazione AVSI and Kenyatta University Press, pp. 111 – 122, ISBN 9966-7333-0-2.
Dec 2007 Individual Education Prospects at Crossroad: the case of Emerging Social Factors in Kenya is published in The Educator, A Journal of the School of Education, Moi University, Vol. No. 2 (i-xxvi, 1 – 270), September 2007, pp. 99 – 106, ISSN 1817-7654.
December 2003 – May 2007
January 2007 A paper entitled: Multilingual Literacy in Kenya: Past Problems,
Current Challenges and Future Prospects Co-authored with J. O.
Onyango & S. O. Odebero, is published in the
JEDHURE, Vol. 4, No. 1, 2007.
January 2007 A Paper entitled: Critical Issues in African Indigenous Education as Practised among Kipsigis Pre-Colonial Society of Kenya. Co-authored with T. K. Ronoh and Rev. S. Micheni is published in the JEDHURE, Vol. 4, No. 1, 2007.
2005 A Paper entitled: Contextualization of Individual Fulfilment: A Perspective of Undergraduates in Kenya is published in JEDHURE Journal, Vol.3, No.2, 2005, Egerton University.
2004 Fundamental Bases of the Undergraduates’ University Education
Goals in Kenya, being part of the selected articles of the Conference of
Association of Third World Studies held in Baraton University 14th – 16th
September, 2004 published in the Journal of ATWS.
2004 Ph.D. of Egerton University, Department of Educational Foundations, Faculty of Education. Title: “A Critique of Individual Fulfilment as a Goal of University Education among the Undergraduates in Kenya”.
(Area: Philosophy of Education).
1997 - November 2003
2003 Contributed a chapter entitled ‘Individual Educational Prospects’ at Crossroads with emerging Social Factors: A Case of Kenya in a book entitled Higher Education in Africa, Issues in Management and Leadership, pp. 114-129, 2003. Selected proceedings of International Conference on Transformation of Higher Education Management and Leadership for Efficacy in Africa held at Kenyatta University, Nov 12th – 16th 2001.
2003 An abstract of a paper entitled ‘Individual Fulfilment’ as a Goal of
Education among the Undergraduates in Public and Private
Universities in Kenya’ co-authored by M.O. Okere & F.O. Ogola,
published in Egerton Journal pp.vi-vii.
2002 Published a paper in the Journal of Faculty of Education and Human Resources, Egerton University.
Title: Fundamental Bases of Fallacies in Post Independent Kenya’s Field of Education pp. 9-15.
1996 M. Phil. Thesis entitled: Kenya’s Post Independence Educational
Policy Objectives: A Philosophical Study with Special Reference to Some
Publications in the Pipeline
1. Working on manuscript for a textbook of Philosophy of Education.
2. Modules for the teaching of Philosophy of Education.
- EDF 410 – Comparative & International Education, for B.Ed (Sc. & Arts).
Selected Conferences and Workshops/Seminars/Trainings
October 2011 – To date
- 14th – 17th July, 2015 Co-authored and Presented a Paper entitled “Emancipation of Both Genders: The Need for Gender Egalitarianism and Impartiality” at the 5th Annual Kabarak International Research Conference. Co-authored with Odhiambo Achieng and Jumba Valerie.
- 22nd – 23rd April 2014, Attended Maasai Mara Science and Development Action International Summit Coordinated by MMU, UoN and French Embassy.
- 11Th – 14Th November, 2014 Attended 1st International Conference held at Maasai Mara University and Presented a Paper entitled Maasai Mara University in the Context of Change and Development.
- 29th – 31st October 2014, Participated in the 1st International Research Conference in Chuka University and presented a Paper entitled Reconstructionist Analysis on Relevance of Secondary School Curriculum Content in Promoting National Cohesion Among Students in Machakos Town Subcounty, Kenya.
- 27Th – 28Th August, 2014 Participated in Quality Education and Research Workshop at Maasai Mara University and Presented a Paper entitled The Question of Teaching and Quality Education in Universities in Kenya.
- 12th August, 2014 – Participated in the Organization of the Post-Graduate Students Research Workshop and Presented a Paper entitled, “Supervision and Management of Proposal/Thesis Writing”at Maasai Mara University Main Hall.
- 7th to 11th July, 2014 Attended and participated in development of Curriculum on Climate Change, Disaster Risk Reduction and Social Protection at Maasai Mara University Main Hall, organized by OSSREA and the Maasai Mara University.
- 17th June, 2014 Presented a paper entitled Learning in Higher Education at the 4th KEMI Conference on Education Management. Theme was: Re-energizing Education Performance, Nairobi, Kenya.
- 12th February, 2014 Presented a paper entitled Critical Thinking at a Pedagogical Workshop held at Laikipia University, Kenya.
- 5th - 7th February, 2014, Attended a Conference on Reengineering Education for Positive Societal Transformation: Research and Innovative Approach held at KCA University, Nairobi, Kenya.
- 3rd – 4th February, 2014 Participated in Curriculum Review/ Development Workshop held at Maasai Mara University Main Hall.
- 14th – 15th November 2013, Attended 3rd National Guidance, Counselling & Psychology Conference Organised by Kenyan Guidance, Counselling & Psychological Association. Theme was Alcohol and Abuse in National institutions in Kenya: Prevention and Intervention Strategies held at Egerton University, Agricultural Resource Centre.
- 6th – 20th June, 2013 – Attended course on Road Safety and Security: Leadership for Building Kenya’s Future, offered as part of collaboration between Clemson University Institute for Global Road Safety and Security (USA) and Maasai Mara University (Kenya).
- 28th January 2013 – Attended Kenya Counselling and Psychological Association Dons Executive Meeting at The August 7th Memorial Park Museum (formerly US Embassy), Nairobi.
- May 22nd – June 3rd 2012, attended PASGR – MMRC, Mada Hotel, Nairobi
- Covered Module – 4 Social Network Analysis.
- Covered Module – 5 Ethnography.
- Covered Module – 7 Monitoring and Impact Evaluation.
- March 2nd – 11th 2012, attended PASGR – MMRC, Kenya School of Monetary Studies
- Covered Module 3 – Large N Research Principals and Applications (Action Research).
- Module 6 – Action Research in Governance (Impact Evaluation).
- January 31st – February 3rd 2012, attended PASGR - CMA Steering Committee Meeting, Fair View Hotel, Nairobi.
- 5th - 13th November 2011, attended Multi Method Research Training, modules 1 and 2 organized by PASGR at Pan Afric Hotel, Nairobi.
- 10th – 28th October 2011, Coordinated and Facilitated OSSREA/RESSESA Research Methodology Training in Egerton University. 65 participants were trained and issued with certificates.
- 22nd – 27th August 2011, attended Meeting of the RESSESA Technical Advisory Committee (TAC) and Experience Sharing Workshop on Ph.D Research Methodology Training to Social Sciences and Supervisors of Ph.D Candidates in Eastern and Southern Africa at Lenana Mount Hotel, Nairobi sponsored by OSSREA.
- 3rd – 4th August 2011 attended Second Steering Committee Meeting for Developing CMA Programme for Research in Public Policy at The Fair View Hotel, Nairobi. Sponsored by pasgr.org (Partnership for African Social and Governance Research).
- 11th – 12th May 2011, Attended initial Steering Committee Meeting for Developing CMA Programme for Research in Public Policy at The Sarova Stanley Hotel, Nairobi. Sponsored by pasgr.org (Parterneship for African Social & Governance Research).
- 28th Feb – 5th March 2011, Attended 10th OSSREA Congress and RESSESA Conference at the Kunduchi Beach Hotel and Resort, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania.
- 22nd 24th February 2011, Exploratory Conference: Collaborative MA Programme in Research for Public Policy at The Sarova Stanley Hotel, Nairobi. Sponsored by pasgr.org (Parterneship for African Social & Governance Research).
- 26th – 27th November, 2010, 2nd Academic Conference Mount Kenya University, Nakuru Campus, Held at Rift Valley Sports Club. Presented a Paper entitled Exploring the Contribution of Charismatic Christianity to the Social and Individual Well Being in Western Kenya.
- 13th – 14th November 2010, National Guidance and Counselling Conference Held at ARC, Egerton University.
- 23rd – 24th July, 2010, 1st Academic Conference Mount Kenya University, Nakuru Campus, Held at Milele Resort. Presented a Paper entitled Conceptualizing Education for Individual in Kenyan Universities.
- 7th – 11th September 2010, Moi University, 6th Annual International Conference. Presented a paper entitled “ The Role of University Education in Fostering Tradition of Critical Thinking for National Development”
- 5th – 6th May 2010, Cross Regional Consultative Meeting at Intercontinental Hotel, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, Sponsered by IDEA, OSSREA & AFRIMAP.
- 26Th – 29Th January 2010, Liason Officers Workshop at Protea Hotel, Lusaka Zambia
- 2nd – 3rd July 2008, OSSREA Kenya Chapter Conference: Theme, Kenya in the Context of Globalisation; Challenges and Prospects.
- 1st July 2008, PRSP Dissemination Workshop Programme, NACECE Conference Centre, KIE Nairobi.
- 2nd – 4th Apriland 28th – 30th May, 2008, Facilitator at CMRT, Egerton University, Pedagogical Skills Workshop.
- 17th – 18th May, 2007 Attended OSSREA Liaison Officers Summit at Utalii Hotel, Nairobi.
- 6th – 7th March, 2007 Attended TESSA, Partner Advisory Council Workshop at AVU Nairobi.
- 8th – 23rd Jan 2007 – Facilitator at CMRT, Egerton University, Student exchange programme University of Wisconsin, Oshkosh. Presented a Paper entitled: Education and Human Resource Development in Kenya.
- 30th Nov 2006 – Attended training on Versioning of TESSA Module on Life Skills at ARC, Egerton University.
- 22nd - 25th March 2006 - Attended OSSREA Kenya Chapter National Workshop at WUCST, Kakamega as Egerton University Chapter Representative.
- 16th – 18th January 2006 – Attended a workshop on Leadership, Corporate governance, Strategic Planning and Institutional Management for Deans, Directors and CODs at Kenya School of Monetary Studies. Trainer - Ashley Management Consultants.
- 12th – 13th December 2005 – Attended a workshop organised by the Oganisation for Social Science Research in Eastern and Southern Africa (OSSREA) - Addis Ababa in Ethiopia to receive the award of Post –Doctoral Fellowship Grant Programme 2005 worth USD 10,000 to undertake a research project entitled: Overcoming Obstacles Faced by Free Education in Public Primary Schools in Kenya.
- The Journal of Faculty of Education and Human Resources, Egerton University.
- OSSREA Journal.
- The Educator Journal, Moi University.
- ……..Msingi ….EDFO Journal
June 2007 – September 2011
December 2003 – May 2007
1. November 2012, Mentored Phd Candidate George Makori to write a Research Fund Proposal to DAAD which ultimately earned him Ksh 3,000,000/=.
2. June 2010 – Received OSSREA Grant ( USD 12,249) to finance publication of a special Edition of Egerton Journal of Humanities, Social Sciences and Education, Volume IX, published in June 2011, ISSN 1021-1128.
3. December 2005 – My research proposal entitled: Overcoming Obstacles Faced by Free Education in Public Primary Schools in Kenya was selected by Organisation for Social Science Research in Eastern and Southern Africa (OSSREA) for the award of Post –Doctoral Fellowship Grant Programme 2005 worth USD 10,000.
Journals Subscribed to:
Institutions Affiliated to:
- Organisation for Social Science Research in Eastern and Southern Africa (OSSREA)
- Partnership for African Social & Governance Research (PASGR)
- Association of Third World Studies (ATWS)
Supervision of Theses and Projects (Selected work, otherwise I have supervised over 100 postgraduates)
Phd Theses October 2011 – To date
- The Utilization of Information and Communication Technologies for Teacher Education in Kenyan Universities: A Study in Comparative and International Education – Phd Thesis, 2014 – George Makori, Egerton University.
2. Influence of Self-Concealment on the Effectiveness of Sexual Self-Disclosure during Voluntary Counselling and Testing Among University Students in Kenya - Phd Thesis, 2014 – Gilbert Mokua, Laikipia University.
Med Theses October 2011 – To date
3. Influence of the Perception of Female Genital Mutilation on Girls’ Participation in Secondary School Education in Ekerenyo Division, Nyamira North District, Kenya. Med Thesis 2013 – Joseph Ogao Onyoni Faculty of Education, Egerton University.
4. A Re-constructionist Analysis of the Relevance of Secondary School Curriculum in Promoting National Cohesion Among Students in Yatta Sub-County, Machakos County, Kenya, 2013; Ruth Mutunge Mwanza, Faculty of Education and Resource Development. Chuka University.
5. Role of William Kilpatrick’s Philosophy of Progressivism in the Teaching of Mathematics in Primary Schools of Meru South Sub-County, Tharaka Nithi County, Kenya, 2014; Simon N. Mwangi, Faculty of Education and Resource Development.Chuka University.
6. Contributions of Julius Nyerere’s Philosophy of Self-Reliance to Teaching Methods of Business Studies in Secondary Schools in Tigania East Sub County, Kenya, 2014; Laibutah Shadrach, Faculty of Education and Resource Development., Chuka University.
7. Role of John Dewey’s Method of Experimentation to Teaching of Biology Practicals in Secondary Schools in Mombasa Sub-County Kenya, 2014; Faculty of Education and Resource Development. Chuka University.
8. The Role of Paulo Freire’s Principles of Banking Concept to the Reforms of Physics Teaching Methods in Secondary Schools of Meru-South District, Tharaka-Nithi County, Kenya, 2014; Faculty of Education and Resource Development.Chuka University, John K. Mbaka.
9. Influence of Facebook Use on Formation of Social Ties, National Cohesion and Academic Achievement Among University Students in Kenya, 2014; Faculty of Education and Resource Development, James M. Murungi, Chuka University.
10. Relevance of Rusk’s Philosophy of Self Realization to Teaching of Christian Religious Education in Primary Schools of Igembe Sub County Meru County, Kenya, 2014. Faculty of Education and Resource Development, Priscilla M. Kailikia, Chuka University.
11. Influence of Undergraduate Students’ Attitudes on Prevention of Sexually Transmitted Infections and its Implications to Guidance and Counselling in Laikipia University, Kenya, 2014. Faculty of Education and Resource Development, Egerton University.
12. Influence of Student Discipline on Performance in KCSE in Public Secondary Schools of Nakuru Municipality, Kenya. Elsie Nyaga, Med Thesis, 2012, Mount Kenya University.
13. Influence of Teachers’ Level of training on Students’ Academic Performance in KCSE in Public Schools in Baringo District County, Kenya. James Chepkechei, Med Thesis, 2012, Mount Kenya University.
14. Administrative Factors Influencing Utilization of Free Primary Education Funds in Public Schools of Nakuru Municipality, Kenya. Linnet Namai, Med Thesis, 2012, Mount Kenya University.
15. A Comparative study of the Influence of Head Teachers’Management Styles on Pupils’ Performance in KCPE in Public and Private Schools in Nakuru Municipality, Kenya. Margaret Nekesa, Thesis, 2012, Mount Kenya University.
16. Influence of Free PrimaryEducation on Pupils’ Academic Performance in Public Primary Schools in Konoin Division, Bomet County,Kenya. Henry Mutai, Med Thesis, 2012, Mount Kenya University.
17. Administrative Challlenges Facing Public Secondary Schools in Nakuru Municipality in the Advent of Subsidized Secondary education in Kenya. Margaret Mwongera, Med Thesis, 2012, Mount Kenya University.
18. Administrative Challlenges Facing Implementation of Student Leadership through Election Processes in Public Secondary Schools in Uasin Gishu County, Kenya. David Mureithi, Med Thesis, 2012, Mount Kenya University.
19. Factors Contributing to School Dropouts among Primary School Pupils: A Case of Meru South District, Kenya- M.Ed (Education Management), Mary M. Mpungu, Chuka University College, 2011.
20. Perception of Teachers on the Role of Staff Welfare Programmes in Selected Public Secondary Schools in Nakuru Municipality, Kenya. M.Ed (Guidance & Counselling), Francisca A. Asino, Egerton University, 2011.
21. Influence of Play on Wholistic Adjustment of Pre-School Children: A Case of Homa Bay District, Kenya. M.Ed (Guidance & Counselling), Peter Onyango Ogola, Egerton University, 2011.
22. Influence of Students Discipline on Performance in KCSE in Public Secondary Schools in Nakuru Municipality, Kenya. Med Thesis, 2011, Mount Kenya University.
Med Theses June 2007 – September 2011
23. Factors Influencing Job Satisfaction Among Secondary School Teachers In Meru South District, Kenya. M.Ed (Education Management), Purity Kamau Nkonge, Chuka University College, 2010.
24. Effectiveness Of School Based Initiatives to Supplement Educational Finances In Meru South And Maara District In Kenya, M.Ed (Education Management), by Juliet Kathure Kariuki, Chuka University College, 2009.
25. Challenges Faced By Headteachers on Resource Mobilization and Utilization in Public Secondary Schools in Meru South District, M.Ed (Education Management), Jennifer Wanja Mugambi, Chuka University College, 2009.
26. Constituency Bursary Fund as a Method of Financing Secondary School Education: A Case of Nithi Constituency, M.Ed (Education Management), Benson Gituma Kiura, Chuka University College, 2009.
27. A Comparative Study of Domestic Labour and Gender Influence on Education in Mixed Secondary Schools in Kisii Central District- M.Ed (EDFO) - B. N. Omenge, Egerton University, 2007.
28. Effect of Classroom Interactions on Class Management in Mathematics Lessons in the Wake of Free Primary Education; The Case of Public Primary Schools in Nakuru Municipality- M.Ed (EDFO) - E. M. Kanaga, Egerton University, 2007.